Friday, May 1, 2009

When will they appear?

It's been raining for two days but yesterday after work I went out and weeded for two hours. Weeding in a garden of that size is a job of epic proportions. I need to just put mulch down in between the rows.

The good news is that things are starting to peek up! When Mister Siren loads the photos up you can all share in the excitement. It surprised me that I was seeing stuff already b/c of the expected germination times. So I made a chart.

PLANT

DAYS TO EMERGE/GERMINATE

DAYS TO HARVEST

Basil

5-7

Not stated

Sorrel

5-10

Not stated

Sugar Snap Peas

5-10

Not stated

Bibb Lettuce

7-10

57 days

Cilantro

7-10

Not stated

Mesclun Greens

7-10

40-60 days

Dill

7-14

Not stated

Bush beans

7-14

50 days

Arugula

8-10

40 days

Zucchini

10-14

57 days

We planted these seeds on Sunday, and yesterday was Thursday. I guess that is about five days in seed time. (?). So it would make sense that we were seeing the five day plants emerging. But i was seeing a few things in the camps of others . . . Definitely no dill, no cilantro. But weird and strange things with the zucchini. Nothing exactly happening right above where i planted it, but i don't really know what happens underground when you plant a zucchini. Does it grow a huge underground viney root system? Because I think it grew roots and vines underneath one of the basil plants and popped out clear on the other side. There are hard thick things emerging all around the zucchini row and also far away from it that look the same. Faithless me, when the package says plant ONE every three feet, I put in three seeds just to be sure. (I didn't want to be left with no zucchini!) i hope the entire garden is not overrun by zucchini.

Then, with the basil, which are supposed to be the earliest to sprout, i didn't see anything I could identify as basil. Unless I pulled them all up thinking they were weeds. (Forgive me, it looked like the same weeds growing everywhere else.) But then maybe i planted them too deep. They are only supposed to be planted 1/4 in deep and who knows if i did that.

I'll put pics up tonight. The long and short of it is, the lettuces, I can tell they are definitely growing. The other stuff, no. And there are way too many weeds. You'll see!

No comments: