Thursday, June 4, 2009

Flower already!

Looky here, please. Your opinions are valued. This will require emails or comments in the comments section. (psst. if you comment in the comment section vs. emailing me, other people can read your advice too and it might give them ideas)
Are these Mr. Stripey's version of . . . . . . . . . . . flowers? (*said in an incredulous voice*)
I mean . . .

It's so disappointing. I just can't figure this plant out. And despite the prior link I posted where Mr. Stripey wasn't exactly given great reviews as a plant, this blog reports that it is a gourmet tomato with excellent taste. So I would like it to start flowering so that it could one day bear fruit.

I have done some research on why it would not be flowering at this point. Possible reasons seem to be:
1) too much nitrogen, too little phosphorous in the soil
2) too many leaves
3) too much fertilizer (I doubt this is it since the only fertilizer it has had was what it came with)
4) and if it HAD flowers (which I have not noticed), there could be a pollination problem, and I could kind of help it get pollinated.

Now, the pollination thing could be true. As you may or may not know, the honey bees are quickly disappearing across the country. But that's not the issue with this plant. This plant just keeps making leaves and no flowers. Or nubbly little diseased flowers.

Well, there is good news! You won't have to suffer with my blurry closeup photographs anymore. I sat myself down and finally figured out that the button with the little flower on it is made for extreme closeup shots. I knew there had to be some setting for that! (now aren't you flattered that you are part of this constant process of discovery? I am literally sharing everything with you. There is no reason for anyone reading this blog to ever, ever feel ignorant . . . . . . .)

For instance, here is an extreme closeup the OLD WAY of the beans:
It was extremely frustrating that I could not show close-up detail.

But with my new discovery (I could probably have read the manual, but who has time to dig that out), check out the pods developing on the beans:
Not sure how much longer we have until these develop into nice, crunchy, tasty beans!

On that note, take another look at the Early Girl tomatoes:
I wanted to show, in reference to my hand, how large these were getting, so:
(i know in some of the prior photos they looked enormous). This plant certainly has no problem flowering!

The bunny (we call him Lenny now) is making regular daily visits. The cats were talking to him this morning out the window. He came right up to the back porch :)

3 comments:

Sally said...

I've just discovered your blog; thanks for following mine. I wish I had some insight into your tomato problem; I've never had that particular one, though I've had many others. One thing I don't know is how much sun your plants are getting. When my tomatoes come out undersized and plants mostly leafy, they are leggy too, and it's because they don't get enough sun. This happens at home, where there is no place that seems to get enough sun. I'm trying containers in a new location; wish me luck! Another thing: is the temperature warm enough and consistent? I wonder if a sudden cold snap could have done something to your flowers.

Still trying to solve the mysteries of tomato growing,
Sally

Anonymous said...

I too am having issues with my Mr. Stripey! My Black Prince has tons of flowers (no visible fruit yet, but I'm in the Northwest, we have a later season here).

I found this information. I'm thinking you might have yourself a little flowering there at the top of your plant. But I guess we shouldn't hold our breaths for the promised bi color tart fruit. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg081530465386.html

Siren said...

Sally, that one corner is the sunniest in the garden and I estimate that except on cloudy days it is getting at least 8 hours of sun. The temperature has definitely fluctuated here, for instance this weekend it was in the 60s! And then, of course, we have had rainstorms that have flooded the garden. I planted Mr. Stripey at the highest point so that it would survive.

THis is all just a big trial and error for me, but in more research online I've discovered that it is known as a late bearer which sometimes gets huge and leafy and can sometimes bear as little as two tomatoes per season! Aggravating! If that is the case with this plant we won't be cultivating it next year.

Thank you both so much for your comments and advice, I appreciate it immensely